Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Vita Mea (My Life) Final Narration Education; Discussing Learning



As for a significant educational experience that happen to me, after I joined the Navy. I joined the Navy and went to boot camp in Illinois. From there I went to Submarine school where I learned basic submarine technology, including pneumatic, hydraulics, reactor theory, and seawater systems.
I spent my first year qualifying and going to my “A” school for Machinist Mate. There was an opening for “C” school where you excel in troubleshooting and technical repair, normally given to you after four years in the Navy. One of our guys was scheduled to go to class but he ended up going on emergency leave. My Supervisor, who slowly was taking me under his wing and mentoring me, suggested that I go to the school. This is very unusual due to the fact that I was still an E-1, and I was going before other E-3 and E-4. I big discussion came over this and in the end my supervisor took full responsibilities of my actions in school.

                My first month we went over Hydraulic theory and principles, and knowing every mode and valve position and pump variations, casualties procedures and pneumatic principles from 4500 lbs air to 20 lbs air. Compressor rebuilds’, High pressure air dryers, ball valve repair, and Emergency blow system. Everyone in the class had three to five years experience and where considered top Machinist mates on their submarines. I wanted to quit the first two weeks I didn't belong in that class because these guys where all qualified in submarines and I was still trying to qualified. I was consistently being hazed and pranked with. I was told I would not amount to anything and that I was taking a way a good class from someone else more worthy.










I skipped class for three days because I couldn't see myself finishing this course or passing it. I hide in the barracks until my mentor found out and I got a good earful. But he was understanding and asked me what the real problem was. I told him what was going on and he decided to give me advice and consult. We started working on projects together and he didn’t quit until I knew it by the book.  He always quoted Latin phrases for me, “Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur” ( that man is wise who speaks little), “dimidium facti qui coepit habet” (once you've started , you are half ways there) and “carpi diem” (seize the day), it was his thing he did and I enjoyed writing them in my notes. I aced both hydraulic and pneumatic class scoring 4.0 on both exams. I was excited and motivated i wanted more knowledge, i had a hunger for it.
I was cramming so much information I didn’t know I was capable of such a feat; it’s like drinking water out off a fire hydrant. You retain what you can and remember the other stuff later.  I was enjoying the results also and enjoyed the results started setting small goals, Weekly goals and monthly goals for class. I had five core values I had to recite every morning before class from my mentor; Always go the extra mile, always help someone in need, love what you are doing, you don’t know everything find it in the book, quitting is not an option.
The next six months off school went by quickly but not without its troubles from other students accusing me off cheating. They assumed i was cheating because i was getting 4.0 on systems that i didnt work on yet but I worked my butt off twice as much as the other guy. If they left at noon for the day I would stay till four or six at night working in labs or at the tech library. I also took time to help other people with the systems I was just learning, which really helped me out a lot because it helped me retain the knowledge. My two toughest courses where still ahead of me Submarine diesel and Oxygen Generators and Atmosphere control. I never ran a diesel or yet alone an Oxygen Generator, but I would go to lab and study and watch the other classes ahead of me. I would talk to the Diesel Petty officers and also our lead tech that worked on Oxygen generator and equipment.

After almost 16 weeks of school I was averaging a 4.0 and tons of extra credit assignment. The hardest class was coming its 3 days of class lectures and 10 days of lab 10 hours day. I was excited and so where my command. I was achieving something that as a junior sailor was superseding senior sailors, but I also knew my craft, I was a walking Technical manual. Class went well but labs where very hard. I was struggling and I knew I wasn’t going to pass this lab. I never quit I just kept going, on day at work I was whining about the class and he came to me and said, “prefer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim (be patient and tough:someday this pain will be usefull to you)” I had to look it up cause I had no idea, but I totally agreed and lived on that motto for a few years.
On my last day I was 45 minutes from graduating when I lost differential pressure on the hydrogen valve and 3000 psig oxygen mixed with 3000 psig hydrogen, I tried to control D/P to a plus or minus .5 “ off water and was unsuccessful. I had failed.
I was able to explain what my action was and how to do it I just couldn't do it I didn't have the experience. I ended getting a 2.0 for the last schedule class. My supervisor was happy and took me out for dinner to Elsie’s, in downtown Silverdale, I miss that old place. The following Monday grades were released and I had a class overage of 3.95, originally a 3.8 but due to extra credit was able to bump it up to 3.95.
I was so excited; I had just qualified for my Submarine warfare, and had been promoted to E-3. I was at the top of my games; nothing could stop me except for myself. What I had learned from all this hard work and determination. Humble yourself, you don’t know everything. Seek the expert. Always self improve yourself in knowledge and life.
So like Ferross I learned I wanted to learn and didn't stop till I knew it well and if I couldn't find the answer I surrounded myself with knowledgeable shipmates. I became obsessed with perfection. I started and made sure I finished every product. Like Rose, I had fallen thru the cracks of society and was stereotype due to the class of people I hung out with, until my mentor just like Rose had his.  Challenge him to be his very best. Like Malcolm had to learn to read over again to communicate with the average person, I had to learn Engineering technology, administration and dialogue. I had no idea what these words meant; psig, micron, cathode and anode, electrolysis, catalytic, centrifugal and learn to read and draw US Navy schematics.  I would spend hours understanding theories and ideas from Vernuilli, Tesla, Edison, Worthington, and Fairbanks. If I was going to be in the submarine engineering field, I would have to learn how to talk and walk like a submarine engineer. And just like Romero, who gave up Google, which as I see now is not an easy task, they are everywhere. I laugh in hindsight cause whenever I see a goggle apt. I something wonder if I should just boycott it. I had to give up my past, if I was going to be my best I had to sacrifice something it wasn't easy but I came out ahead. It was the association of other people that didn't have the same vision or goals that I had achieved.
In conclusion, as a child I was always told I would amount to anything, to accept failure, to not rock the boat, don’t bring any attention to yourself. Why is this a significant moment in my life I ask myself now, it was a major life lesson, that ultimately changed me. It is a small story of my life and it was important for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment