How I learned to live google free by Joshua J. Romero
At
first when I read this, I had nothing in common with Mr. Romero. In my mind he
was a big whiner. I imagine him in his mother’s basement blogging and checking
his Facebook status every 3 min. Playing Farmland and Mafia wars with his
orange finger tips encrusted in yet another bag of Cheetos that he has engulfed,
with a dimly lit lamp in the background. Look at his blog picture. Crying how
google had consumed his life and everything he did was through google. It’s not
like google held a gun to his head and said use me as your search engine or
google maps or calendar. It was all free will. He chooses to use the google the
evil conglomerate, because it was convenient for him. What a whiner, I thought.
I read
and read and fell asleep thinking of Mr. Romero and then it hit me. Why? Why is
he doing this? What is his reason? Why is his story significant? Is it a
revolution he is on to? Is he David, as google is goliath?
Mr.
Romero is cleaning house and no longer wants anything to do with google. Just
as we American’s switch from Chevy’s to Hondas, and Comcast to Wave. He is
telling me a story a life lesson about switching google, he never says anything
bad about them or calls them the evil empire, and he just simply has had enough
off them and wants something different. Change is good, I’ve been told.
His
story and struggle about becoming free from google, perhaps a metamorphous for
him. He will emerge with a clean soul when done. A clean slate and open mind.
How ironic it is, as for myself I am just barely understanding google itself
and all the wonderful application that it has to make my life easier and
convenient for school and social life.
I don’t
agree with Mr. Romero, but I understand his purpose and dedication, commitment
to get the job done and to stand by a belief. It’s a moral lacking by most
American’s, standing up for what you believe and finishing something that you
started, mmmmm I can see some of Feross points emerging here. My hats off to
you Mr. Romero and your worthy cause you won’t find me in the sidelines next to
you because this student needs google, as best said, “google is like smoking
cigarettes, it’s a habit that’s difficult to give up.”
No comments:
Post a Comment