Thursday, October 10, 2013

A rose by any other name....

I just want to be average, by Mike Rose Mike Rose story growing up in Los Angeles school district, as well as I did, have so much in common. I was forced to take a placement exam in Middle school and due to my score ended up in a version of vocational classes. The teachers taught by paycheck, never really giving a damn. Just doing the bare minimum to get by. Very few teachers ever challenge any students. My school was mostly Chicanos, or Mexican-Americans second generation, blacks and a few whites. Graffiti on the walls and lockers. Books where in shabby state. There was fights two to three during lunch and recess. Gangs ruled the school, the essay and the surfers. There was a giant quad in the middle off the school. They had their area and we had ours. I Had no motivation to do better, I just wanted to be normal and average in school, I didn’t want to be in gangs, but as I got older I would have to choose either get beat up every day in school, or get beat up once and join a gang. I hated school so much, but I knew how proud my parents where when I went to school, I was going to be their little lawyer or doctor. Being in vocational classes nobody expects you to do well or excel. I remember we had a white guy, name Brian in class and he always got A’s in class. One day Brian was bragging about his grade to a guy name Joker, his gang name. Joker beat the heck out of him in class. Brian missed a week off school and joker got suspended for three days, why excel? You will just get the shit beat out of you. My life took a big turnaround after I joined the Navy. Just like Mr. Rose had Mr. MacFarland, I had my mentor in the Navy who encouraged me to strive and reach my very best. I graduated top in my class in my Journeyman class for Marine Engineer. I do wonder what if I had someone to push me in junior high and high school. Just what if.

No comments:

Post a Comment